Originally built in 1909 and located one block east of Union Square, the project included amajor renovation and upgrade of an historically significant, 13-story, terra cotta clad retail and commercial office building. In addition to a complete replacement and modernization of all major building systems, the project included the carefully studied installation of a concrete moment frame to address current seismic codes.
Retail space occupies the basement through third floors of the building, while floors above this level are occupied as “Class A” office space. Three modern high-speed elevators, including custom crafted cab interiors, an entirely new system of emergency exit stairs, and wood paneled elevator/office entrance lobbies were also a part of the project.
Conceived as if it were part of the original 1909 building, BAR also designed a welcoming street level façade and entry lobby to serve the offices above. Handcrafted, richly-veined and ornately detailed marble blocks and slabs were first quarried and fabricated in Italy, then field-installed, as the finishing touch to the completely rejuvenated building.